Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Poems

You may ask your classmates to create short poems for different purpose, e.g. to formulate the main idea in it, to characterize the main protagonists, to embrace the overall mood and atmosphere of the work, etc. The poems do not have to be perfect, of course; the idea is to do the ‘conventional’ tasks in a more challenging way.

Here are few examples:

Charles Dickens: Great Expectations

Miss Havisham

Miss Havisham wears always white
Because she’s an abandoned bride
She enjoys playing the cards
But to live with her is pretty hard.

Mrs Joe


Mrs Joe is very cruel
The stick is her favorite tool
But fortunately she is hit
She beats Pip no more, but she sits.

Pip

My name is Pip
And I want to rap my clip.
Eating an icecream
I have a big dream:
To be a perfect gentleman
And not like the other men.
I hate my work so much
But there is a dream I want to touch.
I want to escape from this
Sending my dear Estella a kiss.
****************************
G. Orwell: 1984

Our father of IngSoc,

we praise you all the day.

Your doubleplusgood eyes

protect us on our way.

The Gin of Victory

circling in our vains,

we love and need You

above all the saints.



S. T. Coleridge: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner